Saturday 1 April 2023

Saturday DIY

Hello and welcome to another installment of "making a house a home". In today's episode, the secondborn gets a surprise and the beloved wife has her kitchen edge closer to completion.

[Title Sequence]

I start the day in the loft. Curtains are fitted to the windows. Windows that are ever so slightly different heights!


I also discovered that my 20 year old digital radio had been broken. A child, allegedly the thirdborn, allegedly fell into it. Neither child one or child two felt a desire to grass up the littlest sister. Something tells me I'm not getting the full story. My radio is now aerial-less.
I remember being so excited to get this radio. I could finally listen to BBC 6 Music. It still has station names in it's memory from back then. Stations either long gone or from my various moves around the country. I'll be sad if I can't get it patched up somehow.

So even though I didn't much feel like being nice at that moment in time (I have too much emotional attachment to inanimate objects) the secondborn's bed was brought up to her new room, much to her approval.

[Segway into working in the kitchen]

A little later on, Dad arrived and we finally got to tackle the kitchen doors. We had put these on pause last year. Probably around October. I should probably go back through this blog and find the exact date. That would be showing the proper respect to you, my dear reader.

13th November. There, I did that just for you. Four and a half months ago it was, that we put the doors on the back burner to concentrate on fitting the kitchen and decorating the loft.

Well today was the day that we put the plan into action. I'm sure you remember what that was, yes? Just in case you don't, the short version is that the doors would need bits cutting out of them for various fixings and the instructions were practically none existent.

Meet our main workaround for apparent contradictions in the design of this door frame; recessing the pivot bracket at the top of the door and associated chamfer:

The bottom pivot caused a lot of trouble but explaining that is going to be difficult to explain without diagrams. The bracket on the bottom rail (where the bottom pivot pin is slotted) couldn't be adjusted whilst attached to the rail. So it had to be attached to the door first but this meant the alignment of the door couldn't be carried out in-situ. It had to be taken off, adjusted and put back on. Everyone likes trial and error when each attempt involves finicky fixings and lugging around a large door, right?!

Nevertheless, we got there in the end and the middle of the three doors was then attached.


That's all we had time for today. See you tomorrow for another action packed episode of "making a house a home".

[End credits]


No comments: