Sunday 2 May 2021

Designing the Extension

The architect visited to discuss our plans and gather measurements and other data for the plans they needed to produce. I already had a very clear idea of how the extension needed to function so really I just needed them to sit my plans within building regulations and draw them nicely.

That said, I was also hoping for some creative and design input. I suspected I would have to pay more for this service but the architect was kind enough to informally comment that there was nothing inherently wrong with interior layout. We also discussed some options for the exterior and, while it's not exactly Grand Designs worthy, how to make it look its best.

Fast forward 4 weeks and the first draft of the plans arrived. There were a few deviations from what was discussed and a few typos here and there (particularly where things had been clumsily copied and pasted from other plans) so there was a bit of discussion on that. To be honest I expected professionals in architecture to have a better eye for detail so I was a little disappointed especially as their work doesn't come cheap. I accept that they were busy and so were probably rushing more than they would like but if I'm spotting things then I'm worried about what someone who is used to these plans would find - you know, like the builder who has to actually work from these! 

Anyway, they were very quick to turn around my corrections and clear up my questions (just as well seeing as there's only a few weeks to make revisions) and by revision 4 they had nailed it. The plans have now been submitted for the prior notice application.

For you, my patient reader, this is all very abstract at the moment. So let me reward your eyes with some of my sexy modelling...

Our extension, as it would appear alongside next door's extension

This would be the inside of the extension. Tracy would like to stress that the colours are illustrative only!

As a quick aside - I do like SketchUp to do 3D plans and would definitely recommend it. The online free version doesn't work too well with big designs (it soon slows down - I suspect due to how it's keeping things in memory) but for simple designs like the above it's worked great. It's capable of a lot more (modelling moving objects and creating 2-D plans, for example) but I haven't tried these out and I suspect they work best using the paid version.

So now we're just waiting to hear back from the local authority on the prior notice. There shouldn't be a problem - I think I've pre-empted the possible issues - but you never know. Once that's sorted, then it's time to pass the plans to building control, start looking for a builder and get the water authority on-board too.

No comments: