Monday 21 November 2005

Awards 2005
I. Was. There.

In a magnificent town hall, surrounded by my fellow former students, surrounded themselves by proud friends and family, all facing the front of the hall where, beneath an amazing organ, sat the upper echilon of the University joined by some of our former lecturers.

Outside it was a crisp and sunny autumnal Yorkshire morning. You could see your breath but the sun soon warmed up the black gown and dark suit. Not that I or, for that matter, anybody else noticed the weather.

We had had to wait since June for this day - the weather didn't come into it.

With only the slightest twinge of nerves I stood up from where I had been sat and walked toward the stage. When I heard my name called out it was like hearing it for the first time - it didn't sound whiny or small, it sounded proud and distinguished. I had never ever thought my name would sound as good as it did that day.


Our time on stage was brief, but for me it felt like returning to an old home. Our Chancellor put us all at ease as we, one by one, walked across the stage, shook hands and departed the stage. All that preparation for such a brief moment. But what a moment.

Then, after the honorary awards and Chancellors speech, it was all over. Me and my audience - my parents and my former landlady - went off to have a lovely lunch. Expensive, but absolutely lovely.

We spoke of many things, including some of the impressive speeches we had heard. I conlcluded my business in Yorkshire and we set off on the long journey home.


I have further pictures available on my photo website. I expect that all who have been through a graduation ceremony will have felt the same as I did. There was even a strange sort of respect from the public. Oh I got stared at, but I felt nothing but pride and accomplishment. I was suprised when two passer-by's both said well done to me. Even if one person did then add "whatever all you lot in funny hats have done".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been my ambition to wear one of those *silly hats* since I first saw the photo of my favourite cousin Liesl wearing hers. I'm even studying one of the subjects she did, but that is mere chance. It's also her fault I'm a Pratchett fan.