Wednesday 9 November 2005

Image from RedDwarf.co.uk Red Dwarf, Job Interview and Stuff.
Well I've wathced everything but the episodes with commentaries switched on. Great DVD - well worth whatever I paid for it.

In fact, I have an ammusing story to tell...

Let me take you back to Monday morning. I was lying in bed (in that state where you're just waking up) when the phone rang. I answered and it was a recruitment consultant who wanted to offer me an interview. He asked me to customise my CV and send it to him. So I did that and then settled down to watch my brand new Red Dwarf DVD that had arrived that morning.

I started watching and then people wanted to intermittently talk to me about food, family history, TV and various other things. So I get all that out the way and sit back down to watch the DVD (I was on the second disc by now). Then the phone rings - it's that consultant wanting more detail. So I take just under an hour to quickly edit my CV again. Then send that off and get back to watching the DVD.

About an hour after that (this is about 17:00hrs ) I get another call from the consultant - I have an interview booked for 4pm the following day. In Reading. So, halfway through the fan-films, I rush off to buy a new suit (it costed £175). I get back, have some tea (it's now nearing 20:00hrs) and finish watching the fan films before going to bed.

Not that I slept well in bed, I was too excited. I had a plan: Get up 08:45, have hair cut at 09:15, iron shirt and set off by 10:00 to allow a good 4 hour journey time in case of bad traffic. Well I got up on time, got my hair cut, but didn't set off until 11:00.

I had a good journey - little traffic and I made good time. I got there at about 14:00, so I had some lunch, put the radio on in my car and waited for 2 hours until it was time for the interview.

The interview lasted 20 minutes.

To be fair, the interviewer tried to take me seriously. The veil slipped a couple times, but he tried - and that's the point surely? After a brief chat - that he found more awkward than me - I sat a brief test. The test was on a subject matter that was far more advanced than what I had ever had to use. You can imagine what was going through my head at this point. So we ended the interview - he didn't need to be quite so, er, fatherly (it wasn't quite being patronising because he seemed genuine).

So I returned some calls that I had received during the day about other job opportunities and tried to ring the consultant who had put me forward for this position. I think he may have been avoiding me. I left a message on his voicemail that was polite with a hint of annoyance and a speck of sarcasm.

So I started back home. It was now nearly rush hour. And now it was raining heavily. I stopped at a service station along the way for tea. I felt pretty bad by this point so I wasn't my normal friendly self. I smiled at someone who looked how I felt; they smiled back but probably thought I was a weirdo.

I finally got home at about 20:30. I caught up with a letter I had received regarding family history (which was very interesting), watched a bit of disc 3 of Red Dwarf, watched Stargate then went to bed.

What a couple of days!

No comments: