Sunday 23 April 2023

Stretching the meaning of the word 'finish'

Yes, it's another day where I attempt to finish something that I'd hoped to finish the day before.

Today was the day I drilled through the outside wall. 

First job was to figure out where on the wall I needed to drill and at what angle. I cut away some of the plasterboard, marked the position and drilled a pilot hole using my new massive drill bit.


Then I moved outside, to drill the main hole. I had bought a special drill bit yesterday that would cut a core out of the brick at the right diameter for the waste pipe (a 52mm hole for a 40mm pipe). My main concern was that I was using a standard drill, not one with a clutch. According to the internet, this was a huge safety hazard - if the drill bit got stuck, the drill would yank in an anticlockwise direction, potentially breaking my wrist in the process. Also according to the internet, I expected this job to take at least an hour - probably more as I'd be taking it steady so as not to destroy my favourite wrist.

As it turned out, the brick cut like butter, taking only 20 minutes max, and my wrist was unscathed. I have no way of knowing if this was simply luck but it's done now and looks the part...


I even have some brick cylinders to keep as souvenirs...

With the hole done, I focused on getting the waste pipes cut to size and fitted. 


You may see a nice attachment where the pipe meets the wall - these allegedly give an airtight seal but I'm not convinced. Looks better than a load of silicone though. The instructions were funny (if potentially a bit sexist)...

Meanwhile inside, Dad got the copper pipes cut to size before we soldered and fitted them into place.



Last thing to do was to test the pipework. Apart from getting sprayed where a nut I forgot to re-tighten was, the copper pipes worked perfectly. The flexible pipe that we reclaimed for the tap leaked, but this was old and wasn't able to fit the tap anyway so not an issue.

Couldn't test the waste pipe because I'm still awaiting an adapter for the bottom of the plug hole to change the 32mm screw thread to a 40mm thread. It's one of those parts that, if I had a trade account, I'd have in 10 minutes and it'd cost a third of what I had to pay on eBay. 

Everything else is ready though, even the bit of flexible waste pipe to get around the misalignment issue.

While we had been testing the copper pipes, Dad discovered the rubber seal underneath one of the kitchen cabinets. I swear we looked under them at least 3 times! But at least I could put the tap back on the sink and finish getting it all flush. Tap handle still needs angling appropriately but here's how it now looks...


Looking at it, you wouldn't think it'd take 2 days, yet here we are.


No comments: