Friday 24 March 2023

Loft Decorating, Episode 13

We left yesterday with most of the underlay down. Much like I did today, let's get straight back into the action.

The remaining but of floor was cleaned up. I noticed that one section of the floor was particularly uneven:


So I did some testing. It could be felt through the underlay but not through the carpet:


Whizzed through the penultimate run of underlay. Albeit with an interesting way of keeping the carpet out of the way:


Then had to stop and think how I wanted to do the last little bit. I settled on sticking to the same direction to keep the known straight edges together. This meant more wastage and having to cut upside down but I think the finish achieved was much better:


Then came the moment I'd been dreading, unrolling the carpet. This time, I knew how it had been wrapped and knew that moving it once unfurled by anything other than a centimetre would be a severe pain / cause a severe pain. So I tried to get it lined up and unroll it where it needed to be. So this is what that looked like:


You can see the crease in the carpet where the roll has bent during manoeuvres but the technique worked well and, much to my surprise, the job was done in just a few minutes.


Compared to last time, I had far more energy (but not much time) left to stretch out the carpet, trim the edges, stretch some more and get it all into position. There was some awkwardness that I'm putting down to the walls not being square.

I got sooooo close to finishing but ended up running out of time. One end of the room is pretty much done:


Just got to work on the other end where there's an awkward wrinkle that I'm not sure how to solve without causing the big crease down the middle of the carpet to reappear. Excuse the dodgy phone-drawing but it's like the carpet has stretched on one side and is now shaped a bit like this:


Hopefully I can just continue to stretch and trim the carpet so that it reaches perfection. You should just be able to see the wrinkle in this final picture - look along the top skirting board for where the carpet seems to bulge:



No comments: