Sunday 3 May 2020

Guild Wars 15th Anniversary Special

15th Anniversary of Guild Wars

Yes, it has been 15 years since Guild Wars first started! I didn't start playing straight away though, my journey started 13 and a half years ago when some friends from work (at the time) invited me to join their in-game guild.

It was my first MMORPG and I had so much fun! I loved being part of a team and working together to solve problems. I spent hours and hours exploring the rich environment and delving in to the story.

Then Guild Wars 2 released. For a while I continued in GW1 but I eventually switched to GW2 7 years ago. The sequel was a very different beast to the original. Set in the same world but 250 years later, we are continuing to revisit the sites of GW1 and it's always so interesting to see how things have changed; some areas more drastically than others!

I remember a couple of moments, during the Path of Fire story, where I knew exactly where I needed to go just because I remembered those areas from GW1!

So much has changed in that time (new jobs, buying a house, reproducing) but Guild Wars has been a constant for me and a great place to escape to that is so rich in different things to do (it's not all fighting!).

Anyway, while I could go on for some time about what I like / dislike or what the differences between the two games are that has been done to death by a plethora of other content creators. I'd like to share some of the amazing experiences I've had over the years but so much of it falls in to the category of "you had to be there" that I fear it wouldn't make sense to anyone.

So what I'm going to do instead is release a series of fairly short posts about my six primary player-characters and their stories. Hopefully you'll enjoy learning about them and their adventures - they've all led interesting and sometimes intertwined lives!

I'll release a post each day this week. Hope you enjoy!

This series will contain some spoilers for the various Guild Wars stories and by definition leans on the lore set down by them, to which ArenaNet clearly own the copyright. Both games are still very playable and purely as a fan I'd encourage you to play them too and experience all this for yourself. The official sites are here: Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2

No comments: