Saturday 22 January 2011

Food, Glorious Food

Well I like to make posts reviewing (albeit an amateurish effort) the places I've been to eat/sleep/work/rest/play. Yet I don't recall ever mentioning eating at the below two places. They are both excellent and yet affordable and I would recommend them. Now, as promised, here are the details.


1) Sweet Chillies Cuisine, Moseley, Birmingham

They serve a contemporary menu of Indian and Bengali food as well as offering a few creative 'fusion' dishes. Their best chef team seems to be working on a Friday (because that's when the food is at its best), though the 'b-team' is still worth the visit.

I've been on several occasions now and each time I've had a wonderful meal and had a good time. It's very popular (on a Friday night particularly) so I'd book a table in advance if I were you.

Presentation is often overlooked in some places I've been but image is clearly an important part of this company. Real 'flowers' on the table. I say flowers but it's more creative than that. The dishes themselves are often decorated too which is a classy touch in my opinion.


2) Royal Oak, Alveley, Shropshire

Again, I've been here a few times and have never been disappointed. As a little village pub it is great. I'd imagine that you'd be welcome to come in for a beer and a chat any time but there is also a restaurant at the back.

The food is sumptuous! The flavouring is so delicate and finely tuned that you really don't care about the price - it's worth every single penny.

I went for a Christmas meal there last year and it was lovely. There's nothing rushed, there's no feeling of chaos or even that the place was as busy as it was. The food came out at a leisurely rate and in the mean-time the drink and conversation flows in the lovely ambience in the building. The windows overlook a little of the countryside but, alas, not that much.

You have got to have at least one meal here.

No comments: