Sunday 18 March 2007

Mothers' Day.
What an emotinal weekend it has been. I managed to lose control of my emotions (if they were ever under my control in the first place). Lets start at the beginning.

There is a man I have been sitting next to at work for the past few months. He has provided stimulating conversation and entertainment - not just for me, but for the whole office (if not the entire company). Well, he has decided that he has had enough and has quit his job.

I was suprised at how upset I felt - after all, I've only known him a few months, others have known him for years. So when it came to his leaving do, I didn't feel I had the right to be upset or the right to talk or do anything. I wanted to tell him how I'd miss his company but feared it wouldn't be received as honest.

As a compromise I allowed myself to stick around with a few of the 'hardcore' stayer outers. This was all going very well until we went to a particular bar. I have made a mental note not to go in there again but no doubt I will forget in a few weeks time.

Lets just say (as I'd rather not go into details) that fate decided to try and take advantage of my emotinal mood that day. So I just got up and left. Fast. Shaking. Probably pale as a sheet and sweating. The world had kind of gone fuzzy as my brain steered me out of the building and into my car (note that I had been drinking coke so I may have been high on caffeine). I felt so rude but I could not stand being in that building any longer. Through no fault of the people I was with.

When I got home I felt so rude - I felt such a mess. I cried for a bit, texted one of the people who was there to apologise for me running off and tried to relax / distract myself.

So then we got to yesterday. That was a bit of an emotinal disappointment too. And now we're on today.

Today, Mother's Day. Another marketing exploitation of love. I don't need a special day to tell the people I love that I love them. If I did then why don't they have "Friend Day" too? That way I could get cards for the male and female friends to say thanks for being my friend without looking like some emotionally unstable fruitcake.

But of course, if you don't get a card there'll be hell to pay. Just my luck then that I missed the postman and now the card will arrive late.

Then there's a few stresses at work at the mo - don't ask as I can't tell you. I'm glad I have holiday booked for soon though.

When I have a rough patch like this, I am always reminded of what one suprisingly-terrifying-for-her-age woman said to me once in that tone of voice that goes straight to your inner child. She said something along the lines f "some people have their bad luck spread out, some get it all at once now shut up and get on with your work".

Anyway, I shouldn't just come on here to moan - though I have to admit, it does help me to put things into perspective.

I do, in fact, have other things, less whiney things, to say. I have just finished reading a book by Mark Thomas called "As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandella". It was about the arms trade and I found it very interesting. I wouldn't say I disagreed with anything he said, but some things were a little lacking in substance here or there. But on the whole, it was enlightening. It was also rather scary just how easily front companies can be set up and trading in arms to 'dodgy' countries can be carried out. So thanks for bringing this to my attention Mark.

And on that note I shall depart. I am afraid I have run out of energy. Take care all x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You aren't the only one to have a shitty Mother's Day. Or a shitty weekend come to think of it.

I send you hugs and a reminder that you're still one of my best friends.

Lee said...

Thank you,

Hugs are always appreciated!

Thanks for the reminder too - but how could I forget ;-)