Thursday 19 October 2006

History Matters.
Tuesday saw a lovely sunrise over the ancient Snowdonia mountain range. As usual between Monday and Friday I woke up at 6am, ironed my shirt for the day, put on the rest of my clothes, tied my tie, had a breakfast of porridge oats and set off for work by car. I have to drive 10 miles, mainly through fields although I would prefer to cycle the journey as it is better for my health.

The part of Anglesey where I live has been enhabited since the Bronze Age and probably before. Many small settlements have been found around this area. Its' close proximity to the Sea probably helped where trade is concerned and the area had much influence from nearby Ireland during the times when the pagans were being converted to Christianity.

However, most of the development of the area was thanks to the Victorians circa 1890 - specifically Thomas Telford who designed and built the main road and bridge that I use to get on and off the island. A couple of the toll houses still exist (now converrted into normal houses) on this road and one has the toll charges still written on the side of the house.

The town that my village comes under is known in short as Llanfairpwyllgwyngyll. The full version of the name is the longest in Britain - a name that I believe was created in the early 20th century to try to boost tourism in the area once the railway had been built. The town also held the first ever Women's Institute meeting which still has a strong membership today.

My work is as an Electronic Engineer, essentially fixing problems with Printed Circuit Boards. This usually involves researching ideas on the internet and emailing/phoning customers and suppliers until a solution is reached. I normally work from 08:00 to 16:45 with 45 minutes of rest spread over the day. However I stayed behind until 17:30 to finish off a couple of items I was working on.

I then drove home and had a quick tea. I cook my own food for the whole month and store it in my freezer - so I had a good choice of foods. I opted for tuna fishcakes with a jacket potato and a tin full of baked beans. I then set off for the rehersal of the male voice choir I have decided to join. I live in Wales but being English I am having to learn how to speak Welsh as most of the songs are in Welsh. The songs tend to be old Welsh hymns or other adapted Welsh folk songs. The choir is also practicing for a couple of performances in Sweden and so I have had to learn how to pronounce the Swedish words as well!

I got back to my rented terraced 2 bedroom house at about 22:30. I got undressed, went to bed and that was the end of my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my dad would have you believe that half the stuff Telford is credited with wasn't actually his.

The Aquaduct nr Llangollen for one. At least part of the A5 for another.