Monday 23 April 2007



Monday Eveningtide!


For some reason I've been thinking it's Tuesday today when all along it's Monday. Oh how we laughed.




I've also been rather naughty. I've been watching the first ever episodes of Doctor Who and I have to say that I was impressed. Usually I find that when I've joined a series part-way through and then go back to the beginning then I can be disappointed. However it is not the case this time. From the very first episode I was hooked. The episodes just flew by leaving me wanting to know more.




Were there plans in action for decimilisation in 1963?




I also saw the first episode made using The Sims 2. This was rather impressive, and like many others I liked how Susan was listening to an ipod. Very classy - and somewhat clever despite the inevetibility.




I'm tired so please excuse the poor grammar and spelling.




I've been model making today and I wanted to show you what I've done so far. You ready?


It's a bit over-exposed but you get the idea. It's taken 4 months to do this. Though I have been doing it on and off. Cumulatively I have no idea how long this has taken.
I didn't make the remote control by the way. I just thought I'd tell you that in case you got confuddled ;-)
So then, it's currently 16 minutes past bedtime by my computer clock. Which means I'm a very tired bunny cos I stopped up last night looking at old continuity clips and closedown sequences from the BBC. I was also reading an account of the media response to Princess Diana's death in 1997. It made very interesting reading.
Well tonight I was supposed to get a list of meals compiled for the next few weeks and to do an online shop at Tesco's to get the stuff delivered (since the boot of my car no longer opens :-\)
You may have guessed that I have not done this. I have the book sat next to me on the sofa though.
Come to think of it, I'm sat in a very strange position. I have the monitor turned 180 degrees so that it faces the side of the sofa. I have the keyboard placed at the end of the sofa closest to the monitor. I am sat in the middle of the sofa with my left knee against my chest and the other leg tucked underneath me.
My advice to men everywhere is to not attempt this position unless naked. I am not naked. This position hurts because clothes are digging into me, I'm also squashing my foot.
Anyway, I have my monitor this way round so that I could lie on the sofa and watch video online. I like to do this. So what I am thinking of doing is going one step further. If I get a nice big flatscreen monitor and a TV card, then I am not going to need my traditional Tv am i?! Nor will I need a stereo.
So over the course of the next few years I think I may slowly build up the capability of my computer so that it can handle all this multi-tasking. I want to wait until quad-core processors come out first though. I have a feeling I'll need that ulti-tasking capability.
One thing that annoys me about new computers is that Windows likes to use up most of the resources for itself. It's all very well having a super-snazzy OS but if it's gonna take a severely hyped up PC to run it - then what's the point? The OS only needs to run the software - that's all. Maybe some clever management to reduce processor bottlenecks, but that's it - surely?!
Not that I'm a software engineer. Not that I know what I'm on about. Yet recruitment agencies who still insist on sending me emails are still asking if I'd like to go for a software job through them. Gits.
So I am increasingly being pushed in the direction of Linux. I know I've been talking about this for years (well, perhaps mainly just thinking). At least then I would have the freedom to limit what the OS does and to let the software that I actually want to run the things I actually want to do as opposed to making an OS that does a million and one things of which I only use a handful of features.
Ye Gods that was a terrible sentence. Far too long and the structure was terrible. I would score it at 2 out of 10 purely because I used punctuation.
Unlike some.
Well, I have rambled quite a bit tonight. I am off to bed to rest my weary head. Goodnight one and all, and to all a goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linux is teh coolest - I can lend you my cds in two weeks, but I'm afraid you're not having my book. I think I'll need that this summer, I still haven't got it working on my laptop how I want. The thing about linux is you have to tweak a lot to start with to get things how you want them. But that's better than having a huge monstrosity that pretends to do everything.
I'm not anti windowz - honest. *cough*

Your thing looks like one of the things that go on the back of Oliphaunts. Am I right? Or is it a roof? You didn't say what it was.

I thought I had something else to say but I forgot it.