Tuesday 17 January 2006

News At Last.
Yes, it's true, I've heard back from my interview. Unfortunately it's not a yes but it's not a no either. The company are interviewing someone else before they give me a final answer at the end of this month.

So what do I do in the mean time? Do I wait around or do I assume the worst and move to plan B? To add to the mix, I have an MOT to pay for and car tax is due (also) at the end of this month.

I haven't had a round up of news for a while and I'm not going to do it now either. What I will tell you all is that the mission to Pluto (New Horizons) has been postponed until 18:16 GMT tomorrow due to strong ground winds. A couple of webpages of relevance to geeks like me can be found here and here.

You may have heard in the news that the Stardust mission has returned to Earth. The contents of the space craft (which is basically space dust) is being scanned. It will take until around March to do this. Then, the public are being asked to help look through the scanned images to find the grains of space dust. For the person(s) who find grains, you are rewarded with your name being attached to the science paper showing the findings. For a better explanation, look at the website.

Another webiste has come to my attention (okay, so I saw it on BBC News). This site allows you to look up the distribution (by county) of surnames. You have two further options - view the distribution as of 1881 or view the distribution as of 1998. It's pretty busy at the moment (none too surprisingly) but once demand has levelled off it should be very useful. I intend to use it with my family tree project that I've nearly finished.

And that is about it. I haven't included any Countdown clips today as it was rather tough - especially with the current champion!

No comments: